- 600 g potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 300 g fish fillets (try a good value white fish such as Whiting or Pollock with mackerel or smoked fish)
- Half a pint of milk
- 2 spring onions chopped
- Horseradish or tomato ketchup (optional)
- 2 beaten eggs
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp olive oil / rape seed oil
Warm the milk in a wide pan and bring to a simmer. Add the fish and turn off the heat, let it poach for about 5 minutes.
Take the fish out, let it cool and flake the flesh into a bowl (throwing the skin away). Mix the mash with the fish, spring onions, season with freshly ground black pepper, salt and a tablespoon of horseradish or tomato ketchup.
If the mixture is a bit dry, add some of the milk you used for poaching the fish. Divide the mixture into 8 equal amounts and shape into patties.
Mix the egg in a wide bowl and put the breadcrumbs on a plate. First dip the cake in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs until coated on all sides.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the fishcakes on each side until golden. These fishcakes are lovely with a salad.